Monday, December 16, 2013

Its Time To Get Crazy

I am one of those people who has a really hard time remembering to do something extra.  Pretty much anything that is outside of my regular routine, I can't seem to establish any sort of habit to make it permanent.  Take vitamins?  Sure, for about a week or two, then I forget.  I can put them out on the counter, next to my cereal, doesn't matter.  Flossing? Drives my Hubs nuts, but I am the most random flosser.  And reading my Bible? That takes a TON of effort.  And I feel like it shouldn't.  I have been a Christian since I was 8, and have gone to church just as long.  Bible college? Yep, did that too.  Read my Bible every single day? Hasn't ever happened.  I read my Bible about as often as I floss....
Ok, maybe I read my Bible more often then that.  However, I know its not enough.
What has helped a little bit is the YouVersion app that is on my iphone.  Not only does it have the entire Bible on it, should I ever decide to go back to Genesis and read it from cover to cover, but it also has reading plans and devotionals that can be anything from 3 days to 31 days or longer.  So now I can pick a short devotional, and stay on top of it for 3-7 days!  It is the perfect amount for someone who can't seem to commit.
The one I just finished up was about Elisha and his ridiculous faith.  I know I mentioned it before, but it really spoke to me. Before I read this particular devotional,  I knew that Elisha asked for a double portion of Elijah's anointment from God, and that he received it because of how pure his faith was.  That, however, was the extent of what I knew. Turns out, this man was seriously committed to following God's commands, no matter what the cost.  He burned his plows, butchered his oxen, and left behind his inheritance.  Elisha doesn't come off looking to bright to the average person.  He stepped out of his comfort zone and away from his security, into what God had planned for him! I'm pretty sure that when Elisha met Elijah, he had a dream of what he wanted to see happen.  How big was his vision? The size of his or our vision isn't intimidating to God! I love that!
Not only that, but Elisha humbled himself before God and submitted himself fully.  And sometimes that requires us to do something crazy or ridiculous, or even something life changing.  It might not make sense in the beginning, or even in the middle, it might stretch my faith and heart to a place I have never been, and there will definitely be a lot of unknowns.
Phillipians 4:19 says "And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus".  
How can I walk in any amount of faith, if I don't trust in that verse? No matter what my vision, or need, big or small, I am going to commit myself, to get ridiculous in my faith, just like Elisha!  

No comments: