Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Pressing On

Little Guys first meet is coming up this weekend, and honestly I think I am more nervous then he is.  He has only been on team since June, and in gymnastics for a little over a year now, and while I think he is good (Mom bias here!) I am sure he could do better!  He goes to practice twice a week for 3 hours at a time, and they work on their 6 different routines.  I ask him how was practice, and his standard answer is good.  Every time.  I am glad he has confidence though.  

He used to tell us he only ever needed to practice at gymnastics.  That not a one of his team mates ever worked out at home.  Didn't lift weights, or run, or do anything.  Yeah, right! It took a while, but we finally convinced him, that while there was a few things he can't do at home, like rings, or the high bar, and no we were not installing either of these items in our house some where, that he could work on his floor routine, and we bought a pullup bar so he could, well, pullup.  

After a while, he developed more of a passion for it I think.  It became more than just a really long expensive play
I wish I had his strength though, Little Guy is 8 yrs old and is proud to sport defined biceps, a very defined back, and a 6 pack.  I suppose if I jumped around, did flips, handstands and pullups for 6 hours a week, I would look like that too.  But that my friends, takes a perseverance that I as a ....  certain aged woman... doesn't have.  At least for gymnastics.  What I am working on these days is my perseverance as a Christian, wife, and mom.  

Hebrews 12:1 says "Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."  Sometimes that seems nearly impossible.  First, do we always know what we are running towards even? And if we do know, are we running towards Gods goal for us? I think it can be easy as Christians sometimes to think any good idea we have is from Him. I don't always think that is the case.  Although I think when we make mistakes, and choose a path that wasn't in His plan, God can always use it for good.  I am trying to get better about being in the word, and spending more time in prayer.  And not just Oh God, please make my kids stop arguing with me!

No comments: